Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Tomatoes are Planted!


Yesterday my toddler and I planted tomato seeds. I recommend Jiffy Starter Greenhouses for their ease of use. The peat pellets are awesome (just remove the plastic before you plant the seedlings to help prevent root binding). Keeping the humidity high helps the seedlings start days earlier and they do not need to be watered until after the seedlings emerge. I have also used a black plastic high-sided container with Saran wrap on top. It worked but wasn't as convenient.
Last fall I used a plastic lidded container that was the perfect size for 12 peat pellets. My son and I planted two each of the tomato seeds I ordered with the exception of the Silvery Fir Tree Tomato (four of those). Each year I try a new marking system but I have yet to discover a fool-proof one. Do you have any suggestions?





No comments:

Post a Comment

My Favorites