Thursday, March 4, 2010

Companion Gardening

Have you ever heard of companion gardening?  I've been reading about it in my older copy of Carrots Love Tomatoes and it is very interesting!  I am hoping to employ some of these gems in hopes of keeping those pesky insects away this year!  


Some of the coolest ideas so far:

  • Bush green beans help cucumbers grow better
  • Basil helps keep pests off of tomatoes
  • Horseradish grown near potatoes helps them grow healthier (just dig horseradish up each fall since it is a prolific spreader)
  • Marigolds can repel nematodes for up to three years.  The protection is there even if the marigolds haven't been there for a few years!
  • Corn makes a great trellis for cucumbers which also helps to keep away raccoons.  It aids in anchoring corn during strong winds.  Corn benefits cucumbers by seeming to keep wilt away.
I hope to compile a list once I'm done of the most relevant info (to me) in the next few days.  I love the idea of doing natural pest control and no pesticides! 

Have you done any companion planting?  I'd love to hear what works and doesn't.  Please comment and share your experiences!

3 comments:

  1. I am LOVING the basil/tomato and sunflower/cucumber ideas. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I mixed up my vining plants. It's actually corn, not sunflowers. :/ It's still kind of a funny visual to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea Angela! I will tell Norm about it. I'm sure we will learn from you!

    ReplyDelete

My Favorites